January 26, 2009
Would You Like to Look and Feel 10-15 Years Younger?
Then Do Not Follow the USDA Food Pyramid -- It's the Antithesis of Anti-Aging Health
Neil F. Neimark, MD
The Real Goal of Anti-Aging Health: Adding Quality Years to Your Life
Contrary to popular belief, advancement in age is not what causes illness. It's our poor lifestyle that culminates in illness as we age. Poor dietary habits, excessive stress, alcohol, smoking and lack of exercise are what make us age. Knowing, learning and applying anti-aging health solutions can not only forestall the aging process, but can add quality years to your life.
Don't get me wrong - lots of people live long lives today. In fact, our life expectancy is longer than it has been say, 40 years ago. However, we need to look at the quality of life we are living as we advance in age. When it comes to quality of life in old age, we are sorely lacking. Many people as they age are plagued with arthritis, Alzheimer's, diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure that rob them of quality years.
You Really Are What You Eat
We've all heard the saying, You are what you eat. When it comes to anti-aging health, this principle is even truer. We must learn to treat food as a powerful medicine. This is the foundational basis for all of anti-aging health.
It's difficult to admit, but when it comes to health, we've become a bit lazy and overly obsessed with quick fixes. Americans on the whole are the fattest nation in the world. With all our technological savvy, we still don't apply the most basic of anti-aging health principles. Hippocrates said it best nearly 2000 years ago, "Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food."
So, why is our modern day diet making us ill? The powerful food industry, with $1 trillion in annual food sales in the United States, understands the principles of anti-aging health but chooses to ignore them for a number of reasons. One, they are costly to implement. Two, government subsidies for corn and safflower oils create more profits for food producers by using these pro-inflammatory oils. Third, we as consumers have not demanded healthier anti-inflammatory foods for ourselves and our children.
When It Comes To Anti-Aging Health, Politics Can Make You Sick
Politics are powerful and unfortunately the USDA Food Pyramid is loaded with misinformation guided by political back scratching. If you want to realize the kind of quality health that is based on strong science, don't wait for the government, schools or universities to show you the way. You have to take your health into your own hands. The science of anti-aging health points to one major culprit underlying most all chronic illness and debility: silent inflammation.
- Unlike regular inflammation, which is a natural response of the body to infection or injury, silent inflammation doesn't cause pain, nor is it related to any specific injury or infection. You don't know you have it, unless you take a very specialized blood test called a "serum phospholipid fatty acid profile." Your doctor most likely never heard of this test.
What causes silent inflammation? There are three major causes:
- 1)Elevated insulin levels that come from eating too many carbohydrates and too few proteins
2)Too many omega-6 fatty acids and not enough omega-3 fatty acids in your diet
3)Not enough phytonutrients, which are the nutritional compounds found predominately in the skin of pigmented fruits and vegetables.
- If you don't know about silent inflammation and you don't know how to keep insulin levels low, and you don't know how to balance proteins and carbohydrates and you don't know how to get enough phytonutrients in your diet, it's not your fault. You are a victim of the system that was supposed to protect you.
You Can Lay the Foundation of Anti-Aging Health in Less Than 30 Seconds A Day
The good news is it's not that hard to learn the foundational principles of anti-aging health. Better yet, there are now ways to create a strong personal foundation of health in less than 30 seconds a day. I know that sounds hard to believe but it's true. Simply incorporate the following three principles into your daily regimen:
- 1)Treat food as a powerful medicine by eating at least 1 gram of protein for every 2 grams of carbohydrates that you consume.
2)Speak with your doctor about taking a pharmaceutical grade ultra-refined fish oil in high enough doses to reduce silent inflammation in your body. The dosage should be based on the results of a blood test, called a serum phospholipid fatty acid profile. This usually means taking four to eight capsules of Omega-3 fatty acids a day. That takes about 15 seconds. (Do not take this much fish oil from health food stores or Costco. It is not safe. It needs to be pharmaceutical grade.)
3)Include phytonutrient foods in abundance, usually about 10 to 13 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. For those of you who can't imagine eating that many fruits and veggies a day, don't worry. There are now functional beverages that have been designed to have the phytonutrient and antioxidant equivalent of 10 to 13 fruits and vegetables a day, in as little as 4 ounces a day. Find one of these high quality beverages and drink up. That will take you about another 15 seconds a day.
- So there you have it. In just 30 seconds a day, you can learn and incorporate each of these levels of anti-aging health into your daily regimen. It doesn't get much easier than that.
Are you ready to look and feel 15 years younger and change the quality of the rest of your life?
- Neil F. Neimark, MD, is a Board Certified Family Practitioner, a published author, and an expert in applying the principles of mind/body health and preventive nutrition towards improving the health and well-being of patients everywhere.
Road Map to Accelerated Anti-Aging Health and Wellness at: www.expert-anti-aging-advice.com